A Lesson In Baozi





See this Lady?....well she blessed me...more than she will ever know. She and her husband are members of our church. I have known her, from a distance, for quite some time. But since we have been home with Qwinn, I have wanted to really...know her. I must say...Sai is a little shy...and of course, I,...........well I'm NOT. I hand out hugs and kisses like a politician. I recently expressed a desire to learn how to cook a couple of Asian dishes that I fell in love with while in China. Well....Sai has taken on the task of teaching me this craft....did I mention that she makes everything from scratch..... Anthony and I were thwarted from our first attempt at the Asian farmers market with our friends, by the stomach virus...so we had to go it alone, at a later date.....meaning I purchased a pre-packaged flour mixture for my steamed buns....(rookie). The package was literally calling to me from the pantry..provoking me to put on my big girl pants and try my hand at some authentic Asian cuisine. So....I did. And to the in-experienced (macaroni and cheese) taste bud...it was "moooooom I love these!" To my 3yr. old who had experienced far superior steamed buns..."mama?....boo sheeysheeye" = "what is this?...no thank you."
So Thursday I got a text!!!!! It would be the day I would learn.....the real deal....Qwinn and I arrived, and she was ever so happy to have two playmates waiting there to run and romp with. I laughed as she eyed some flavored jellies in a cute piggy bank container, that I had given a firm "no" to, while we were at the Farmers Market two weeks before. (I'm pretty sure I will relent because if my new found friend, who makes her family's dinner from scratch, lets her kids have them....I will, as well.)


So I watched like a good student. I scratched notes and paid my best attention...and then she made me knead the dough. ( I didn't tell her I was a culinary mass murderer...I did what I was told...and she said..."perfect"...wha?...tha...wha??? I even turned to greet the person she was talking to. ).....gush. So now I'm all in....I have to know it all. But not just because I believe she is an amazing cook and a great teacher....she has taken her time to love on me, and on my girl, and as I type this, I am crying because it warms me to my core..... I learned how to make steamed buns Thursday......I was also loved on, by the hands and feet of Jesus.

before the steamer......
.........and after......
of course....mine are the ones void of shape, and with holes....
.......and my girl with her new friend...enjoying a proper steamed bun....

Comments

  1. can you get her to do lessons or video lessons for the rest of us?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts